21 December 2008

Hanukkah and the Winter Solstice

Hanukkah Tov! I got chewed out at 5:30 because I did not present my Jewish boyfriend with chocolate coins when I wished him Happy Hanukkah. I wanted to get some when we were at Trader Joe's the other night, but he said no, so I reminded him that he TOLD me NOT to get the coins, and THEN he says "You're SUPPOSED to say you forgot something and run back in and get them anyway! Because its supposed to be a surprise. Because its ROMANTIC."

For a man who barely acknowledges his Jewish Heritage he sure can lay on a guilt trip.
__________________________________________________________________

It's the First Day of Winter today and it was COLD. The coldest yet here in Saint Louis. It was about 8 degrees this morning at 9 am, and with the wind chill i think they were saying -11. Neat. Thursday was a bunch of ice as it rained toward evening and the temperature dropped. It was a little scary actually, because then the rain warmed up and made a slick skating rink out of the roads. Trying to walk down the front steps I almost broke my neck!

I miss Chicago winters. They at had purpose, design. Cold snaps came off the lake, and snow got dumped there til March. It was great. I'd ride my bike in -17 February winter with my balaclava covered in ice and LOVE it. I never once complained. I love my weather serious.

What I don't like, are wishy washy, "mild" climes. Who really wants it to be 80 degrees and sunny, with a breeze and low humidity every day? I can't do that. I grew up with a storm called a "Nor' Easter" that would blow through Connecticut and leave 4 FEET of snow before it dumped the other 6 feet in Buffalo or went up to Maine and wreaked havoc. I need a summer that boils and a winter that freezes so I can really appreciate t'other when I'm living with the one.

We'll have to see if Saint Louis really has winter. So far i've been disappointed, especially in the people who were like "Man its so cold out there! Its like FORTY DEGREES!" Come on. Anything above zero isn't worth complaining about. Suck it up Saint Louis-ans!

Saint Louis so far hasn't done anything right for me. It can at least give me a cold, snowy, blustery winter. Please. I'll be able to put something in the "Pros" side of my "How I feel about Saint Louis" list. So far, its all Cons except for one: City Museum. That's like, 5 Pros.

*edited for reprehensible grammar infractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment